JC 044: Multifamily Underwriting 101 with Omar Khan
Investing is a team sport
Omar is a successful investor with over a decade of experience. He has advised over $3.7 billion worth of capital financing and mergers and acquisitions transactions. Omar is considered an expert in capital markets and strategic planning by his peers.
In this episode, Omar shares how he determines the value of an apartment building before entering into a purchase contract. He explains the process of underwriting as well as what it looks like from the viewpoint of an investor and a lender.
Omar and John dive into the details of CAPEX, upgrades, and how to factor them into his elaborate equation. Omar explains how to manage the time from vetting until closing the deal. He shares the common mistakes that most investors make before, during, and after a deal and offers up the “must do’s” to prevent them.
Five Key Points:
- You don’t have to be the most gifted person on a team, but make sure you outwork everybody.
- It’s critical to understand the track record of the people you work with.
- Investing is a team sport – you shouldn’t be doing everything yourself.
- The clock starts when an asset is under contract.
- Don’t overpay.
- The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Don’t be in a hurry to get into a deal, especially a deal with the wrong people.
Reach Out to Omar Khan:
- Email: Omar@boardwalkwealth.com
Thank you Omar for taking the time to share your expertise on how to value and underwrite multifamily deals.
Listen to all the episodes of The Real Estate Locker Room Show and sign up for my FREE monthly newsletter at http://www.johncarneyonline.com
© John Carney 2018
Want to become Wealthy by Investing in Real Estate?
Subscribe to receive the Game Plan newsletter, blogs and more